Biofuel is an effective way to reduce CO2 emissions in the sea freight industry instantly. Learn more about this ascending alternative to conventional fossil fuels. What are Biofuels made from? How does it work?
In order to reach climate goals, the world is in urgent need to use clean, renewable energy sources. Total ocean shipping emitted an average of approximately 1 billion tonnes CO2 per year (Fourth IMO GHG Study 2020). This corresponds to approx. 3 percent of global emissions.
Biofuel is an effective way to reduce CO2 emissions in the sea freight industry instantly.
How does the Kuehne+Nagel Biofuel concept work?
- Kuehne+Nagel's Biofuel concept is based on the 2nd generation of Biofuel, also called “Used Cooking Oil Methyl Ester” (UCOME).
- Kuehne+Nagel is allocating fully traceable Biofuel contingents to your cargo
- This so-called Mass-Balance-Concept is a practical approach allowing you to avoid CO2 emissions from your entire supply chain instantly. Mass balancing means consuming biofuels on some specific vessels and allocating CO2 savings to specific cargo volumes or products.
- Transparent pricing methodology following leading oil price benchmarks
- Kuehne+Nagel is working directly with leading ocean carriers to provide you with this concept
What are the advantages of using Biofuel?
- 90-100% of CO2 emissions avoided instantly
- Allowing you to label your products even greener
- Full fuel traceability assured
- „No food for fuel”: UCOME doesn‘t require farmland and it doesn‘t interfere with food cultivation
- Documentation: Declaration provided for your dedicated consumption issued by acknowledged societies
Start sending your shipments with Biofuel today.
Get in touch with us.